Friday, April 5, 2013

A BIG experience.

I shared this story of what happened to me yesterday on Facebook and it got quite the response.  I figured I'd share it with my blog readers...

I paid for the McDonald's for the car behind me today in the drive through. The woman ended up following me all the way to the gym...she got out of her car sobbing and hugged me. The McDonald's was dinner for her children. She was bringing it home for them to eat and enjoy while she went upstairs and took her own life. Her husband left her for another woman and she is broke and hopeless. I sat with her in the gym parking lot for an hour and a half telling her about my God and how he spared me during nec fasc. I told her how bad things had gotten for me, but God walked me through it and never left my side. I prayed for her right there and offered to watch her kids so she can have a break. I gave her a spa gift card I had in my wallet, and I'm watching her babies next Thursday. True story. Pay it forward.


I told Jon what happened last night when he came over after work.  He didn't say much at first...he just watched me as I was talking and shook his head.  I saw tears in his eyes and he started asking me questions... Why did you think to do that?  I told him, I don't know... I've wanted to do that for awhile and when I looked in my rearview mirror at the car behind me, I saw the woman behind the wheel lay her head down on the steering wheel.  She kept wiping her eyes, too.  I don't know if it was just instinct or common human nature, but something tells me it was a whisper from God.  God is very much present and living on Earth.  We might not see him physically, but we see him everywhere, if we really open our eyes and look around.  Just look at the way the flowers bloom in Spring, or how the seasons change and the days get longer, so that as children, we are able to play outside longer in the summer.  Just look at the way people find it in their hearts to adopt a dog that needs a home from the pound.  Just look at the way God put you in the right place at the right time so that you'd meet the person that would one day become your husband or your wife.  Just look at the way you prayed for a girl with necrotizing fasciitis who wasn't supposed to live, and she lived and she got to keep her leg, too.  Sometimes it is so hard to see God, but He is there, and listening to a whisper might just save someone's life.  I believe that  people are put on Earth to take care of each other.  "We Belong To Each Other."-G.M*.

Jon then asked me, "Why the happy meals?"  The woman's plan, yesterday, was to get happy meals for her children so that they'd be happy and occupied when she went upstairs to swallow the pills.  She also told me that she wanted the kids to remember that their mama bought them happy meals before she died.  She wanted them to know that she loved them.  I hurt in my heart when she told me this.  I knew this mama loved her babies.  She hurt so bad that she felt there was no other way.  I told her that I understood how it feels to be at the bottomest of bottoms.  I told her my story... about the hell....and about the heaven.  I told her that when I lost my hair, I spent a week crying on the bathroom floor.  I told her that Jon held me for hours and we cried together.  I told her that I lived.  I survived.  And I'm stronger now.  I told her that I had to go to my bridal shower in a walker.  And I won't be able to wear a bikini on my honeymoon, because my scars are everywhere.  And then I told her about all of you guys.  All of you guys who prayed for me and saved my life and my leg.  I told her that maybe God put me on medical leave from work so that I could help her out.  I told her I'll watch her babies anytime she needs a break.  I gave her my gift card to the spa and I'm going to watch her babies for her so she can go get pretty.  I gave her my phone number and made her promise she'd call me if she felt like taking those pills again.

I hope that eventually I'll get her to go get professional help.  Because even though "We Belong To Each Other" (G.M.*), sometimes we need bigger help than our friends can give us.

I am so thankful that I decided to get that McDonald's diet coke yesterday.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm inspired by your story to do simple acts of kindness. You remind me of the day when I just helped an old man cross to the other side of the road, it was a small thing for me, but he was so thankful. Yet what you have just done is exceedingly great.
    May God richly bless your life.
    Frank,
    Tanzania, East Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lord.. i'm pretty much speechless. I was just wondering if there's a way we can all donate a little money or something? I'd love to help her out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I am blessed having read your story. I work at KTIS in Minneapolis and we would love to share it. Please email me at jason@ktis.org if that's a possibility.

    God bless you!

    Jason Sharp

    ReplyDelete