Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Next chapter...

Surgery #8 is scheduled for Jan 29th.  Sounds far away but its actually only about 6 weeks and I'm already scared.  Scared and excited.

Finally gonna get these scars fixed.  As Dr. G says "Ames, we gotta put humpty dumpty back together again."

We were thrilled to learn that insurance was gonna cover the bulk of this surgery.  We'll have to pay a little out of pocket b/c insurance doesn't cover anything, but it's doable and won't require a house-sized loan to pay for it.  Also, even though my work requires that my medical care be done at Alexian Brothers in order for them to pay the max, we found out it won't be that much more to have it done at Loyola...which is amazing news, because that's where I lived for two months last year...that's where my doctors are...and the reconstructive surgeon there is amazing and familiar with nec fasc scarring and how to proceed with the complicated mess of a body I have.  Plus, Dr. G and Dr. Mosier will be able to come and see me, and it's even likely they'll scrub in and help, since they know exactly what's going on in there.

All in all, it's scary, but necessary, and I'm excited to get it over with.  I wasn't sure if it would be years before we'd be able to afford to pay for this complex surgery.... I'm so glad that we're doing it now so we can move on from this disaster.  The recovery is gonna be absolute hell and I'm sure I'll have a few BIG chapters to cover it all.

In the meantime, I'm still in PT...working really hard, getting stronger.  I run way more than I should, but come on.  They tell me I can run 2 miles, I'm gonna run 10.  I can't help it.  The pain is motivating.  I've been through that before.  Honestly, if you can get through an 8 hour skin graft surgery and recovery of 7 surgeries, you can run 10 miles.  My right leg doesn't help me much, but my left leg has trained itself to take the bulk of the work.

Leaving for the Nec Fasc celebration Cruise in 3 days... I cannot wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment