Monday, April 30, 2012

Log Off. Shut down. Go Run.

Thought of a few more notes to add to my Runner's Tale post.

One of the most important things you can do for yourself if you want to be a runner is get yourself the right equipment.  You NEED a pair of shoes that work for your feet.  The first 3 or 4 marathons I ran, I was running in Nike running shoes.  I couldn't figure out why I was icing my knees constantly and had pain at the bottoms of my feet.  My Uncle Ron (an avid Marathoner himself) recommended Asics, so I headed to the local running store to check them out.  This is one of the best pieces of advice I'll give you.... GO TO A RUNNING STORE for your shoes.  Don't go to the mall, or to Dick's, or Footlocker.  Go to a speciality running store where they'll (for free) study your feet and your form and fit you for the RIGHT shoe.  Some brands that I've found good are Asics, Brooks, and Saucony.  I will ONLY wear Asics however.  Here are my babies that I'm wearing now:

BEST RUNNING SHOES EVER.  I'd only trust Asics for my marathoning.  #AsicsGelKinsel4

They weren't cheap (reg 190 but I think I got them for 130 with a marathon discount). but they feel like HEAVEN.  Specialty running stores will measure and study your feet, fit you in different brands, and even watch you run to figure out exactly what shoes you need.  Make the investment.  Trust me, it's worth it.

Second.... invest in a good pair of running shorts, running tights, and Under Armour.  That way you have no excuse-- it's too cold, it's too hot, etc.  My fav running shorts:
Nike Tempo Track Women's Running Shorts

I literally own these in every single color.  They're soo comfortable. they wick away moisture and they even have built in underwear (that don't ride up your butt).  If it's cold I throw on a pair of running tights under them.  One thing I wouldn't recommend for the serious runner is substituting yoga pants for shorts/tights or specialty running pants.  Yoga pants are made specifically for yoga and don't tend to have the breathability of running tights/pants/shorts.  You end up shortening your stride and slowing yourself down.  My running coach taught me this a few years ago and it's made a world of difference for me since I focus a lot on speed and extreme long distance.

<em>Nike</em> Cushioned No-Show <em>Running Socks</em> White One SizeFinally, get yourself some good running socks.  You need something that is gonna cushion your foot and let them breathe.  These are my absolute favs. Notice how there is a left and right sock.  These guys are so awesome that they realize your left foot is shaped different than your right foot- thus your sock should also be.  The dry fit wicks away moisture and those side panels shape and support your foot.  These socks are soo great.




Now.... get out there and go.  And thank you so much for the emails/messages you've sent me about your progress.  It is so motivating for me to hear that someone caught running fever by reading this blog.  I am so in love with the sport and it warms my heart that anyone could possibly be motivated by my ramblings.

#fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment