Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Runner's Tale.

Alright I've been meaning to write this post for awhile....many, many people have been asking me the same question.... "How do I start running?"

Let me just be completely honest with you.  It sucks..........

  to start.  Once you are into it, it will become such a part of you that you won't be able to stop.  Then just when your love/hate relationship is really starting to get the best of you, you'll join your first organized race.  During said race, you'll fight with yourself the whole time, you'll curse yourself for your stupidity (why did I sign up for this????) and then when it's over....your obsession will only worsen.  That high that you'll get from finishing that race, that "hurt so good" pain in your hips and legs, heck, that fake gold medal they'll put around your neck.... it will take you over, and you'll be proud to be the craziest of all crazies....."the RUNNER!"

Marathoning is another story.....another 40 or so blog posts that I've yet to write about.  That's for the craziest of runners....aka...MOI.  I digress.

Alright, so you want to run?  Really??  Alright.  First thing you have to do.  RUN.  That's it.  It's simple. Trust me, getting out the door and actually starting is going to be the worst part.  It's gonna hurt like hell those first few runs, but soon your trots will lengthen and pretty soon, you're gonna be like me, and your day won't be complete without getting your Asics on and hitting the pavement (or treadmill).  Running is the BEST workout in the world.  I've done a million different workouts, worked with trainers, suffered through the hell of P90x, but the best shape I've ever been in is always a result of cutting out the elliptical, the spinning class, the weights, and just lengthening my runs.  If you have never been a runner, or don't work out for that matter.....the best way to start is a walk/run method.  Basically you alternate running and walking, gradually speeding up and lengthening the "running" portion until you are solely running and cutting out the running altogether.  Here is a great program to start with:  (I've had friends with great success using this program).

 http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-0,00.html  (copy and paste into your browser or google runner's world walk to run program).

Not gonna lie, it's not easy.  But it's addicting.  Stick it out for 9 days and you'll develop a habit (maybe even sooner if you're already athletic).  Get a partner if it makes it easier for you to get out the door.  I don't partner, however.  I'm pretty decent at challenging myself and competing against my own times.  I got a running coach 2 years ago and cut 2 minutes off my time per mile.  On average for short runs 5-8 miles, I'm at around a 7 to 7.2 min mile pace.  I was at a 9 min mile pace before I was coached.  So needless to say, a trainer is always helpful, if you can afford it.  If not, go to Runner's World.com and read the stories of fellow runners-- it will be motivating enough.  Also-- get some GOOD music on your iPod. Everytime I dose up on new music, I have an AMAZING week of runs.  My suggestion for this week is Goodie Mob ft. Cee Lo "Fight to Win"..soo motivating.  I ran 8 miles in just under 50 minutes yesterday after downloading that one (a little over 6 min/mile).  Vision Quest soundtrack is also awesome.  don't forget to throw some Rocky in there and a few good gangster rap songs.  I'm also obsessed with 80s music but I realize not everyone will be motivated by Genesis.

Alright.....  GO!!  (let me know how it goes, I love to hear stories, it motivates me).

No comments:

Post a Comment