Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Prayer works.

J had a huge deal go through at work today.  HUGE.  The deal of the year for him that would essentially make or break the year for him.

The client he was working with were tough to work with and looking like they wanted to change companies...before J had started working with them since his promotion.  They were one foot out the door and he basically had to talk them into staying.

He was worried.  And when he's worried, I'm worried.  Because my husband doesn't ever worry too much about anything.  Very even-keeled.  The exact opposite of me, who worries about everything.

I told him we needed to pray about it.  He asked me why God would have the time for something like  a business deal when there are so many more important things He needs to be caring about, like starving children, and shootings, and necrotizing fasciitis.

It was a great question, and I'm sure one that a lot of us ask ourselves.  How could we possibly ask such a BIG God for things that seem so little in relation to the rest of the world.  I mean, how is me finding my keys when I lose them an important thing to pray about?  Will God be offended if I ask him to help me fall asleep sooner...and stay asleep tonight?  I left my iPod at the gym...should I pray to God that it's still there or just cross my fingers and hope for the best?

What I can tell you is this.  God WANTS us to talk to him.  He wants a constant dialogue between ourselves and Him all day long, every day.  It doesn't matter if it's something stupid, like asking that there not be traffic on the way to the airport.  Nothing is stupid in His eyes.  And sure, there will be times when we pray for the BIG things.  Like praying that a girl with necrotizing fasciitis who isn't supposed to live is miraculously saved.  And healed.  And God wants to hear those things too.

A lot of us only pray when we really want or need something.  But the Bible tells us to "Pray without ceasing." 1 Thessalonians 5:17.  To me, that means, pray about nothing.  Pray about everything.  Talk to God.  And then TRUST HIM.  That's the most important part of the praying.  We have to trust that what we are asking God for will be answered by Him in the right time and in the right way according to what He feels is best for us.  "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Matt. 21:22.  My favorite verse.  That verse was what got me to start talking to God on a regular basis about everything.  He wants us to ask him for things.  He wants us to trust him.  Because if we pray about it, and trust him, and he answers us....then how strong does our faith in Him grow??

I told J, we're gonna pray about this business deal because God cares about what's important to us.  We have to pray about it and then trust him to answer it.  And if he answers it the way you want, it's not just because He wanted to see you happy.  Look at the bigger picture.  He wants to teach you that if you ask Him for things in trust, and really trust, He is going to answer you.  And that is gonna grow your faith in Him.

And don't forget that you have to put in your part too.  Jon just couldn't pray about it and then sit there all day and do nothing.  He had to faithfully work his tail off, doing everything he could to make the deal go through.  And then he had God's help as well.  And the prayer was answered!!!

With nec fasc, I can't just sit at home on the couch everyday and not move and wallow in my pain and just pray that I'll someday be strong enough to run and work again and that my body will be whole.  I have to faithfully do my part.  God and I are a team.  I go to PT and the gym and work my butt off...and He gives me the strength, endurance, mental toughness, pain relief, and healing of my body.  And that, people, is how prayer works.

2 comments:

  1. Amy you are such a blessing to so many. Great post. Today I thank God for you, for saving such a beautiful light, and for giving you such an eloquent way with words that His message is heard. When I pray, I try to remember that God never says no... He says 1.Yes, 2. Not Yet, 3, I have something better in mind. .....Praising Him for the YES's in your life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy this post reminded me of one the Scripture verses your mom taught me in Sunday School. She would sing us songs to help us memorize verses. The one I am thinking of is Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given unto you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be open unto you."

    ReplyDelete