Thursday, June 12, 2014

Let's talk about Hyperemesis.

Let's talk about hyperemesis.

Oh my gosh, do I have a whole new respect for my patients who have to go through this pregnancy madness.  I honestly thought everyone threw up when pregnant.  Not a big deal, right?  I knew it was a little abnormal when I was at my 6 or 7 week appointment, throwing up all day, and asked my doctor for some zofran.  She was happy to give it to me when she found out I was throwing up.  She proceeded to tell me that they usually don't prescribe it for that constant yucky nausea pregnant feeling, but once the patient is throwing up multiple times a day, they need the zofran.  While that nausea feeling does suck... (Donna, who is the midwife in the office and also one of my friends from work, calls it a sour stomach feeling).... that nausea is nothing.  Throwing up every hour, all day all night, gagging and banging your head on the toilet, crying, not being able to move your head or you'll throw up, spending an entire 3 hour flight in an airplane bathroom puking, spending your whole life trying to figure out what to try and eat because EVERYTHING makes you throw up.... that is hyperemesis.  So far I've had to get IV fluids at the hospital a few times, when I can't keep anything down for 12 hours, including water.  Some women get to the point where they lose so much weight they have to be hospitalized for weeks at a time with a feeding tube.  We are not at that point, thank God.  Hopefully this madness will end soon, because right now, it's consuming my life and making this pregnancy NOT FUN.

For those of you with hyperemesis, wives with HE, or friends with HE.... Here are some things I've had a little success with.  Tips, if you will.  They don't help that much.  But hey, maybe it will give you an extra hour without puking.  Which is all I ask for some days.

1.  Always try to keep something in your stomach.  Even if it's literally one saltine.  A completely empty stomach makes it worse.  Sometimes it's a cycle of me eating something, then immediately puking, then eating something, then immediately puking.  But even a bite or two of something is better than nothing.

2. Zofran (some people refuse to take any meds at all while pregnant.  Trust me, if you're puking 24 times in a 24 hour period, you're gonna be taking the zofran.  I ran out one Saturday a few weeks ago, and in the day I didn't have it, I threw up 20 times.  If I take it regularly, I usually throw up 6-10 times a day).  Take the zofran.

3. Preggo pops.  I don't think they really work, but I think it's a mental thing.  I just suck on them pretending they're working and try not to think about throwing up.

4. Running.  It sounds weird, but I haven't had to stop once during a run while pregnant to throw up.  It calms my stomach and helps me breathe regular and it somehow helps.  Which is great, because I would hate not being able to run everyday.  I'm sure I'll reach a point during the pregnancy when I won't be able to run anymore, but right now, my doctor is okay with it, and my body likes it.  My kid is already used to our daily run, and I plan to continue that as long as I possibly can, and as soon as I can after delivery.  I will dedicate a whole post to pregnancy running sometime in the next few weeks.

5. Fresh air.  This really seems to help.  Sometimes if I'm feeling really horrible, I'll just walk outside.  Even just taking Mady out-- the outside air immediately relieves the nausea.  It comes back, but it's crazy how just going from inside to outside, I have an immediate feeling of relief.  I've been keeping the  windows open, but it still doesn't compare to actually walking outside and standing there in the fresh air.  Mady and I have been taking long walks everyday, which is great for her, and the outside air is great for me.

6.  Sleep.  Obviously, if I'm sleeping, I'm not feeling nauseous.  It sucks waking up though, because I always feel the worst when I first wake up.  Whether it's from a nap, in the morning, whatever... waking up from sleep is the worst time for nausea and vomiting for me.  But when I'm actually asleep, it's good.  Speaking of sleep, I could sleep for 24 hours a day right now and still be tired.  I've never felt  fatigue like this... it's crazy!

7.  No plain water.  Dr said it makes most hyperemesis patients puke more.  Gatorade or juice is better. Weird.

8. Finally-- Zofran IV pump.  Attached to your stomach and continuously administering the miracle drug for puking.  I just added this one- weeks later- because I now have my pump. I'm still puking but only 3 times today!

Come on, second trimester.  Please be better.  My baby hates food as of now.

2 comments:

  1. Oh MY GOSH, Amy, you just can't catch a break!! :/ Sorry you are dealing with this…but obviously always remember the prize at the end. When those sweet little eyes look up at you, you'll know all of this is worth it….even though it still SUCKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Renata, I know.. I least this sickness is worth it everyday. All will be forgotten when I meet my little guy. It's crazy how you get pregnant and then you realize you'll do anything or take any amount of pain or discomfort as long as your baby is okay.

      Delete